I have users who constantly travel outside the office.
Internally, they have mapped network drives.
They then go outside and connect via VPN which when connected bridges and puts them on the same subnet. They can ping resources on the network over the VPN without any issue.
When they try and connect to the same network drive by name it takes a long time to connect and then says the share name cannot be found.
The particulars are as follows:
- Internally, everything works fine
- I am running WINS on the server to which they are trying to connect.
- This WINS server is provided in the DHCP options for VPN clients
- DNS is provided in the DHCP option for VPN clients For adapter bindings
- On Windows 7 clients network adapter properties I have ensured Remote Connections are the top priority over local connections
- If connection by IP address is used, it works, but fails when connecting by machine name
What other steps should I try to resolve the above?