Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am using debain 6 in my system, Recently the dekstop frequently hangs. So, when i look on the harddisk health i have find a lot of bad sector. So, can anyone say to remove the bad sector of harddisk of live system.enter image description here

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Shane Madden, HopelessN00b, Zoredache, Michael Hampton, EEAA Sep 1 '12 at 6:59

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Never mind the sectors, replace the entire drive. – gravyface Sep 1 '12 at 2:45
They're already removed. That's what "reallocated" means. – David Schwartz Sep 1 '12 at 5:20
You go to Seagate to verify if the drive is still in warranty. If it is, Seagate sends you a replacement. If not, you go to the shop and buy a new one. – Michael Hampton Sep 1 '12 at 6:00
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Technically speaking, the controller/disk utility (chkdsk in Windows, badblocks in NIX) will detect bad blocks/sectors and mark them as unreadable/writable, but there's always the risk of data loss if it's not detected and dealt with in time.

However in this day and age of commodity hardware, you remove the bad sectors by replacing the hard drive as soon as they're detected and safe to do so. There's really no other way to be ensure data integrity and/or system stability at that point.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.