We have a setup in which our users log into an access database using MS Access 2003 over an RDP connection. The backend database (.mdb) is accessed by our users with their frontend database (.mde) and secured through a security database (*.mdw).
The user's login to their own machines first using a roaming profile. They then click an rdp connection file on the desktop and login to the remote server, via RDP, where they use MS Access as the shell; they don't have any access to any of explorer.exe features such as the start menu.
The database they are logging into is more of an application, and provides functionality for entering data, querying data, and running reports via form based menus. It all worked pretty well until we split the database as it was nearing 2GBs in size.
We moved out the payroll data into a separate partition, a database with the same name in a different folder, both of them on the server. Only two tables were moved into this new database partition, and they were re-linked as external tables in the new partition.
Now while everything appears to be working fine data-wise after the split, there's a new issue when our users login via RDP and attempt to run reports: often the report will not display and instead the user sees an error about the click event of the form. At first I didn't even know it was printer-related, as we didn't really change anything related to the printers as far as I knew.
Confused about the error, I talked to the guy who previously worked here and who was in charge of splitting the database, and he told me to tell the users to set their default printers (on their local machines, not on the server) to the "printer"
Microsoft XPS Document Writer which isn't a physical printer at all. This allowed the user's to display their reports, but if they want to print out reports, they are required to go to the
File menu and select
Save As... dialog as would be expected when using the
Microsoft XPS Document Writer as your default printer.
It's easy to tell if the user is having a problem because a quick mouseover of the printer icon will yield a tooltip of
(none) when they cannot access their reports, and a tooltip of
Microsoft XPS Document Writer when they can view the reports. If the user's printer is set to anything other than
Microsoft XPS Document Writer as the default on their local machine, then
(none) is always displayed when they rdp to the database. The RDP settings are setup to transfer the local printer to the server.
Telling the users to do this to print has been more of a band-aid on the whole situation until we find a better solution and an explanation as to why splitting a database would prevent users from printing or even viewing access database reports. Which is why I'm here asking this question.
Also of note all the printers on the network now show up on the server so that when the users do click
File->Print to print their reports on a physical printer, they have to look through a huge list of printers to find theirs in the dropdown. So the little band-aid fix we have is not ideal. Previously, only the printers on the user's local machine displayed here, and not all the printers on the network.
My co-worker seems to think this has something to do with permissions, I personally think it has to do with roaming profiles, and Group Policies which is what I've been reading up on.
I really don't know how to fix this or how it is related to splitting the database.