Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for professional system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any Linux console (konsole, gnome-terminal, etc.) that allows selecting text in a block mode, like you can in a Windows cmd.exe window, using Mark and drawing a square?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 16 down vote accepted

Holding down the Ctrl-Alt while dragging the left mouse button.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Using Linux for so many years and it's the first time I needed this :) –  Unknown Sep 20 '12 at 9:00
You're welcome. I feel really happy when learned this trick from another. –  quanta Sep 20 '12 at 9:24
FYI - Option-Command will do this on a Mac (at least on Terminal and iTerm2) –  Cakemox Sep 20 '12 at 9:25
Works with gnome-terminal :D –  ThorSummoner Sep 22 at 21:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.