I have a Nagios machine which monitors many linux\windows servers. I started working here about a week ago and got a task to make order in the Nagios. As part of my order i had to add 2 more linux servers to the Nagios. I've installed nagios-plugins and nrpe on both machines, in addition, i've verified that port 5666 is opened and listening on both servers and i can see nrpe running in ps -aux |grep nrpe. The User which is running the plugins is root. **EDIT: The nrpe is configured to run as a daemon so xinetd doesn't play a role here, in addition, checking /var/log/messages |grep nrpe returns:
Sep 27 12:29:25 search-uk-1 nrpe: Starting up daemon Sep 27 12:29:25 search-uk-1 nrpe: Listening for connections on port 5666 Sep 27 12:29:25 search-uk-1 nrpe: Allowing connections from: avalon.office.incredimail.com,avalon.qa.incredimail.com,lu2.int.incredimail.com,lu2.ext.incredimail.com,184.108.40.206 Sep 27 12:30:54 search-uk-1 nrpe: Error: Could not complete SSL handshake. 1 Sep 27 12:37:33 search-uk-1 nrpe: Caught SIGTERM - shutting down... Sep 27 12:37:33 search-uk-1 nrpe: Cannot remove pidfile '/var/run/nrpe.pid' - check your privileges. Sep 27 12:37:33 search-uk-1 nrpe: Daemon shutdown Sep 27 12:37:33 search-uk-1 nrpe: Starting up daemon
SSL is not enabled on any of the servers which are being monitored correctly through Nagios. Running the check_nrpe test from the Nagios server itself to the the remote server returns:
[root@lu2 ~]# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H 10.0.80.98 -p 5666 NRPE v2.12 [root@lu2 ~]#
This is the content of /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg:
log_facility=daemon pid_file=/var/run/nrpe.pid server_port=5666 nrpe_user=nagios nrpe_group=nagios allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1 dont_blame_nrpe=0 debug=0 command_timeout=60 connection_timeout=300 command[check_users]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_users -w 5 -c 10 command[check_load]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20 command[check_hda1]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 5 -c 10 -s Z command[check_total_procs]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 150 -c 200 include=/etc/nagios/command-im.cfg
I've diff'ed this file with a file from one of the working Nagios monitored hosts and found no difference. Running the commands manually returns correct values.
None of the services are working on each of the two servers:
Your help is much appriciated.