Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We are migrating our Blue Martini Commerce application (only supported on WebLogic 10.3.0) to a new host (Redhat 6.3 on a VMWare ESX vm). We are seeing extremely slow start up times for our managed server(s) that is basically 20x slower than our current production.

As a for instance the Publish managed server takes ~30 - 45 seconds in current production and in the new environment it takes ~10 minutes.

The setup uses the same domain structure and JVM as the current production environment. The same setup files are used. We use jdk1.6.0_33 on 64 bit architecture. We used the generic 64bit weblogic installer and used pack / unpack utilities to migrate the domain.

The JAVA_OPTS to start this server are: "-d64 -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=48m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m"

The sysadmins have checked /etc/sysctl.conf and /etc/limits.conf to ensure we were not hitting some kind of process limit. As I am not sure what this managed server does from a Blue Martini perspective during the phase of startup I also had the DBA check to ensure that Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) wasn't also hitting some kind of process limit or if there was a tns listener issue.

The new host is quite a bit stricter with their server lock downs so there are a few differences....

  • Redhat 6.3 in new env, RH 5.7 in current
  • SElinux is targeted in new env and disabled in current
  • VM in new env and dedicated hardware in current
  • iptables disabled in current. It was enabled in new prod but I had them disable it just in case

I apologize for not being more specific. I am mostly hoping got some tips. I do not have the typical root access I would normally have in this environment. I am just hoping got a path forward. I did a few 'kill -3' to see if there are blocked threads and I got nadda. The service works for all intents and purposes it is just painfully slow.

Thanks you all in advance for reading and best regards. Wade

share|improve this question

migrated from stackoverflow.com Oct 3 '12 at 7:16

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

I have experienced the following when initialising the Security Realm specifically with 10.3.0.0 on linux hosts:

(Taken from Here Weblogic Starts Slow)

Turns out Weblogic uses random number generator during start up. Because of the bug in java it reads ‘randomness’ from /dev/random. /dev/random is very good random numbers generators but it is extremely slow. It takes sometimes 10 minutes or more to generate one number. /dev/urandom is not that good, but it is instant. Java somehow maps /dev/urandom file to /dev/random. That’s why default settings in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security are useless.

One of the solutions from the same page:

...change $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security

Replace securerandom.source with

securerandom.source=file:/dev/./urandom

NOTICE: This approach may have security ramifications, but it may at least give you an explanation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.