I am trying to install a webservice that some other guy wrote in .NET. I have some basic IIS understanding. The webservice works just fine on my dev computer, but when I try to move the webservice to a production server, bad things happens.
The webservice is located at
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ on the dev server. But on this production server it is to be located at
I have managed to install an application on the production server and everything seems fine and dandy. But when I
Test Settings in the initial setup, I get an
Invalid application path error. I can just close it down and still install it, but then when I try to access the webservice (at
http://myserver.com/webservice/GetData) nothing happens. Just a blank page, and when I check the response headers, there's a
I don´t know what is going on here or where the problem is. Here's the config file here so someone might notice something odd.
EDIT: The config file is from my dev server. I just copied it to my production server...but that obviously didn't work :-)
UPDATE: I noticed that my dev server run in an Application pool with Net 4 and in "classic" "mode". On the production server it was in NET 4 but in "integrated" mode. So i changed it to "classic". I still get a blank page. But checking the log will output this:
2012-10-03 14:57:00 ip removed GET /boo/GetData - 80 - ip removed Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+rv:15.0)+Gecko/20100101+Firefox/15.0.1 404 2 1260 203
UPDATE 2: Thank you guys for your help. Your comments helped what to look for. After a lot of log looking, and rights management I found this Microsoft KB.
After checking ISAPI and CGI Restrictions on server level i found out that .NET 4 and .NET 4 64 was not allowed. After allowing both, FINALLY my webservice started to talk.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <configuration> <system.web> <identity impersonate="true" /> <!-- Impersonate NT AUTHORITY/IUSR --> <compilation targetFramework="4.0"> <assemblies> <add assembly="System.Data.Entity, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7735c561131e089" /> </assemblies> </compilation> <pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID" /> </system.web> <system.webServer> <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true" /> <httpErrors existingResponse="PassThrough" /> <httpProtocol> <customHeaders> <add name="Access-Control-Allow-Origin" value="*" /> </customHeaders> </httpProtocol> <directoryBrowse enabled="false" /> </system.webServer> <system.serviceModel> <serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true" /> <standardEndpoints> <webHttpEndpoint> <!-- Configure the WCF REST service base address via the global.asax.cs file and the default endpoint via the attributes on the <standardEndpoint> element below --> <standardEndpoint name="" helpEnabled="true" automaticFormatSelectionEnabled="true" /> </webHttpEndpoint> </standardEndpoints> </system.serviceModel> <connectionStrings> <add name="Entities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/DataModel.csdl|res://*/DataModel.ssdl|res://*/DataModel.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="data source=someip;initial catalog=db_90;User ID=user1;Password=access2;multipleactiveresultsets=True;App=EntityFramework"" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" /> </connectionStrings> </configuration>