Mountain Lion Server has been one of the most infuriating things ever recently. Above and beyond tons of crashing I've been completely unable to do the following in a way that makes sense to both me and Apple.
- Name your server srv01.myoffice.domain.com
- Create an OpenDirectory database as a Master from scratch as dc=domain,dc=com
I can rename my server temporarily (taking down vital services in the process due to the automagicliciousness) and create a new profile, however when I switch back to the original domain name the default search base for server related authentication magic is now dc=srv01,dc=myoffice,dc=domain,dc=com.
I've tried everything I can think of including using slapconfig backupdb/restoredb and slaving the server off of another then promoting it. This seems rather silly and Apple shows no response to many requests to resolve this.
Does anybody out there have the magic to have OpenDirectory work as it should.. being able to give it any domain you want and then having all vital services operate correctly.