I installed debian in vm in virtualbox and it has 1280x1024 resolution, while physical screen is 1024x768... So I'm getting scrollable virtualbox window and I have to scroll it. It's pretty hard to work on it. I tried:
- Change resolution in gnome... There's no option to choose resolution (just window with blank buttons)
- Edit xorg.conf... xorg.conf is blank
- I googled and found out that it's normal for xorg.conf to be blank in this version and that I can use xrandr. I tried xrandr -s 1024x768... I got "size 1024x768 not found in available modes"
- sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't do anything. It only lets me to select keyboard layout and that's all. No xorg.conf is created.
- I turned off X and tried X -configure but I got completely blank black screen so I restarted vm. After restarting it I looked into xorg.conf and it's still blank.