on both host and guest running CentOS 6.3 with KVM/Qemu virtualization, I have the following scenarios:
- "virsh shutdown kvm1" did not shutdown at all. virsh lists guest as running.
- "service libvirt-guests stop" did not shutdown in 280 seconds (shutdown_timeout=300. on_shutdown=shutdown)
- "shutdown now" from within guest, guest becomes unreachable. virsh lists guest as running, though it could not connect to it.
- "shutdown -h now" from within guest works.
- "shutdown -r now" from within guest works.
Libvirt logs show nothing for the first 3 scenarios. I can pause the guest fine.
Grub doesnt have acpi=off. ACPI was installed after the reply by @mgorven below. There is nothing on guest logs regarding ACPI aside from these entries from /var/log/messages. It is puzzling to me that there are entries regarding ACPI since it was not installed up until the last line of the log.
Bottom line, I cannot shutdown from outside the guest. What do I check to figure out what is going on?