A client I do web development for asked if I could help with his PC- it seems a laptop he bought on Craigslist developed a problem a couple of weeks after his latest system update: he cannot run any queries on Google or Bing.
I took a look and here's what I found:
- Trying to access google.com and bing.com the browser just hangs with the "waiting for host" message and will eventually timeout
- No matter what browser I used, Firefox, IE or Chrome, I experienced the problem
- I was able to ping these sites from the command line
- I can access many other sites just fine... including news.google.com!
- I ran a malware check and there was definitely a bunch of crap on the computer, but removing everything and rebooting didn't solve the problem
I prepared to recommend he wipe the machine and start fresh, but apparently the person he bought this laptop from did not supply a Restoration CD (sigh).