Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a one way connection between 2 computers (both Ubuntu). I am looking for an easy way to find the max bandwith. I need to find the max transfer rate between computer A and computer B without lost packets. Can someone advice?

Currently i am using netcat for this, but i am looking for a better way.

share|improve this question
What is a "half link" connection? – Sven Oct 25 '12 at 10:17
I mean for one way connection. – Avihai Marchiano Oct 25 '12 at 10:25
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Here is good article about bandwitch monitoring.

Here is list of those applications:

  • bmon
  • bwbar
  • bwm
  • bwm-ng
  • iftop
  • iperf
  • ipfm
  • speedometer
  • cbm
  • ibmonitor
  • pktstat
  • mactrack
  • MRTG
  • Cacti

Personally I recommend using bmon. It's enough for me.

share|improve this answer
Good answer, but i dont looking for monitoring. I am looking for a way to find the MAX bandwith without any errors. – Avihai Marchiano Oct 25 '12 at 11:41
You can't, you have to test it in order to get the bottleneck bandwidth. – scai Oct 25 '12 at 11:47
@scai in the link that i post in the question they show how to measure with netcat , but the problem there is that you need to stop netcat manually and i dont know how much received and sent, so i am pretty sure that with some hacking like PV or netcat flag it can be done. – Avihai Marchiano Oct 25 '12 at 13:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.