Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to make a DNS shortcut that would allow users to type in something like "http://MyPhone" in their browser and have it point to a long internal URL (static URL). DNS is being provided by a Windows 2008 server. How can I do that?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Michael Hampton, HopelessN00b, EEAA, RobM, Greg Askew Oct 29 '12 at 4:10

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This isn't something that you configure on the DNS server. What you need to do is add a DNS Search Suffix for the domain in question to all of the clients. This can be done via GPO or handed out by DHCP. Also, by default, domain-joined clients will try and append their default domain to unqualified names.

As an example: if the server that you would like to reach is located at, you would configure as the search suffix on the clients.

share|improve this answer

You can create a DNS alias (pointing MyPhone to the DNS name of your web server) by selecting New Alias (CNAME) from the Action menu in DNS Manager.

However, you'll also have to configure your web server to recognize the name MyPhone as a distinct web site, and create a redirection from that web site's home page to the URL you want, or, depending on your needs, put the content in question on the home page of that site. How you do this depends on what web server you're using.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.