Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have disk with Windows Server 2008 R2. I want to create image\clone of this disk. I want to be able to do that from OS.

So I want to clone disk I am currently booted from to another disk. Then I want to boot from this cloned disk.

Is it possible to make bootable disk image\clone from OS level ? What is the best way\tool to achieve this ?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by MDMarra, Sven, RobM, EEAA, Magellan Oct 29 '12 at 5:08

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The first solutions : you can use Hirens Tool or Norton Ghost or Acronis True image or G4L Ghost 4 Linux 0.34a

second : you cant use from standard solutions and tools that Microsoft suggested

like sysprep.exe , imagex.exe to create WIM IMAGE attend and unattend installation, WDS , SCCM

third : use another virtualization like vmware vsphere (ESXi5) to clone ...

share|improve this answer
+1 Acronis True Image looks fine. Just read on Wiki "The program can back up a system hard drive while the OS is running". – rumburak Oct 28 '12 at 4:52
ok thanks. but with hirens boot cd version 10 you can find bootable version of that. – saber tabatabaee yazdi Oct 28 '12 at 5:34
@ saber tabatabaee yazdi : True Image is not for Windows Server just for workstation. – rumburak Oct 31 '12 at 5:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.