Here's the timeline of events:
I attempted to log in to the database on my local machine using Microsoft SQL Server 2005. I was informed that my sa user was locked out with the below error message. Off to google.
Error Number: 18486 Severity: 14 State: 1 Line Number: 65536
I logged into the the server using the administrator account, logged into MS SQL Server using Windows authentication and unlocked the sa user. At this point the 4 websites using this account went down and my inbox started flooding.
- I attempted to log in using the sa account again, first on my local machine then on the server, and got an error that said something about a connection was made, but there was nothing on the other end of the pipe (I don't remember the exact wording, but I have the error code from my google history, below). The internet tells me that this is because I need to enable mixed-method authentication (Windows/SQL). Which was already enabled, but I checked it anyway. Yep, still enabled.
Error Number: 233 Severity: 20 State: 0
- I check the properties on the sa user again. Locked out. I unlock again, and just in case reset the password. Nothing doing.
- I restart the server, because I can't think of what else to try. Still nothing.
- In a why-the-heck not moment, I switch the authentication to Windows only, back to mixed, and restart again. Still nothing.
- I create a new user profile on the server and give it sysadmin privileges. Works like a charm. Change all the connection string in the 4 web pages, and all is good.