I am trying to setup ESXi in a server and I am a bit lost. I have read lot's of documentation/serverfault.com/forums and guides.
There you go:
- Have a server with ESXi 5.1 installed
- Need initialially to create two linux VMs
- Got an idea about vSwitch behaviour and configuration.
Have two static internet IP addresses provided by my host.
1) I understand the ESXi must have one of these IPs assigned to it.
2) The VMs can have any IP address (192.168.0.1/2 ??) and should have subnet mask (255.255.255.0)?
3) I saw some guides on how to fowarding ports from the ESXi server to a VM. Is it the only way to configured? For example I can't have one of my VMs with my other static IP address exposed directly to the external world?
4) Gateway: I have no idea. Should I configure the IP of the ESXi machine? Or the router/default gateway provided by my ISP?
5) The ESXi at the moment have one of the static IPs assigned, but when I look at the uplink NIC in the networking configuration, it shows a completely different IP. Wasn't it supposed to be the same as the machine/ESXi server?
I think that with some light in these points I will be able to connect the dots.