I want to rename one of my Debian linux servers to give it a more descriptive, role-based name.
Here are the places I know the name will need to be changed:
- /etc/hostname & /etc/mailname & execute hostname command
- /etc/hosts on other servers, such as our remote log server
- /etc/password (I normally rename root to match the server name, makes sorting mail easier)
- Logwatch / Logcheck configuration
- "rkhunter --propupd" needs to be run
- Backup client configuration - Backup Server Configuration
- Name in heartbeat or keepalive configuration (on all cluster servers) if this is part of a cluster
- /etc/drbd.conf (if there are shared drbd drives)
- DNS server - both internal and external
- Server Name in Virtual Center (this is a virtual server)
- Name in Nagios / OpsView or other monitoring software
- References in server documentation
What have I overlooked? Are there other common things that need to be changed when renaming a server?