Exchange 2010 SP1 Update Rollup 5 server information store database was restored to a Recovery Database using EMC Networker successfully. The Recovery Database is in a mounted state with mailboxes listed within in it.
- However, when restoring the mailbox content using the following command:
Restore-Mailbox –Identity MYMAILBOX –RecoveryDatabase MYRECOVERYDB –RecoveryMailbox LOSTMAILBOX –TargetFolder FOLDERFORLOSTMAILBOX
Returns the following error:
Mailbox "LOSTMAILBOX" doesn't exist on database "MYRECOVERYDB". + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Restore-Mailbox], ManagementObjectNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 66265C53,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.RestoreMailbox
Note: I've used the correct alias name for the mailbox name; I've also tried combinations such as first name, or last name or both and so forth.
- Issuing a
Get-MailboxStatistics -Database MYRECOVERYDBto see if the mailbox is there and it is as shown below:
DisplayName ItemCount StorageLimitStatus LOSTMAILBOX 39495 MailboxDisabled
StorageLimitStatus shows a strange output of
MailboxDisabled. Perhaps this may be the culprit.
Going by the article's documentation I cannot complete the restore of the mailbox as I'm stuck at the restore-mailbox error that it cannot be found.