We are experimenting with Azure IaaS and see weird behavior. Here's what we did:
- Created a Windows Server 2008 R2 Core VHD.
- Uploaded it to Azure (not sysprepped).
- Created a VM against that VHD.
- Confirmed that I could RDP into the VM as both Administrator and a second Administrator account.
- Shut down the VM.
- Made a copy of the VHD in Blob Storage using the Azure API
- Created a new VM pointing at the copied VHD.
- Started the VM. It started fine.
- Attempted to RDP in to the VM.
The RDP session fails as either of the two users - access denied.
I downloaded one of the copied VHDs and created a VM locally in Hyper-V. I can see the VM boots properly and gets to the Ctrl-Alt-Del prompt. But sure enough, both users fail.
I attached the VHD as a local drive, and looked at Event Viewer. The code and subcode tell me it's a correct username, but incorrect password.