Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a hosted website that allows me to add subdomains and point them to different locations on the server. I also know that I can change the 'A Record' to point it to a different IP address.

Now, here's the question, I have a home server that I need to access though this hosted website's domain name.

How would I go about setting up the 'A Record' on the server to point to my home server. I'm usually pretty good about keyword searches but on this one, I'm pretty lost as to what to search for.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by DerfK, EEAA, Michael Hampton, cjc, jscott Dec 4 '12 at 2:54

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Home gear is specifically off topic here. That said, finding your own address is easy. Try whatismyip.com (or .net or about 500 different variations). Getting connections through your home router, dealing with your ISP changing your IP, etc is an exercise for the reader. –  DerfK Dec 4 '12 at 2:10
We'd need to domain name to help you. There are just too many possible permutations to walk you through all of them, it would take numerous back and forths with us likely asking you lots of questions you don't know the answer to. (For example, it would start with: Who runs the name servers for your domain? Your registrar or your hosting provider? Is there a wildcard A or CNAME record covering the subdomain? And so on.) –  David Schwartz Dec 4 '12 at 2:39
Thank you. I'm sorry about the off topic part. I figured Serverfault was a better choice than Stackoverflow for this kind of question. –  Ryan Allred Dec 4 '12 at 4:12

1 Answer 1

Home IP addresses are typically dynamic, your ISP can change them at any time. DNS A records map domains/hostnames to IP addresses, that's a problem when your IP address can change at any time.

What you want is a Dynamic DNS service, that supports changing the IP address in the A record when your home IP changes. Some DNS providers offer that service, but it's unlikely your hosted website provider does.

There are free Dynamic DNS providers (search the web). They will give you a subdomain on their domain. You run a client on your home computer or router (if you have router like DD-WRT that supports Dynamic DNS). The client connects to the free DNS service, telling the service your current IP address.

On your main DNS provider (your web host) you create a CNAME record to map your subdomain to the free Dynamic DNS subdomain. CNAMEs differ from A records in that they map domain-to-domain, not domain-to-IP.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.