On Ubuntu 12.04 server I had PHP 5.4.9 installed from the source:
./configure --prefix=/etc/php --with-apxs2=/etc/apache2/bin/apxs --with-config-file-path=/etc/php --with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php/conf.d --with-libxml-dir=/usr/local/libxml2 --with-xsl=/usr/local/libxslt --with-mysql --with-zlib --with-pdo-mysql --enable-calendar --with-gd --with-iconv-dir --enable-mbstring --enable-soap --enable-sockets --enable-zip --with-curl --with-openssl --with-kerberos --with-tidy'
Then, using apt-get, I had mysql server and phpMyAdmin installed. Unfortunatelly phpMyAdmin keep saying that 'mysqli' and 'mcrypt' not installed. php -m | grep mysqli just confirms it.
So I tried to install mysqli with "apt-get install php5-mysqli", but just got message to do it by means of "php5-mysqlnd" or "php5-mysql". Even though they are already installed (according to phpinfo()) I tried - doesn't work. However, in php.ini, there's mysqli staff like "extension=php_mysqli.dll", but no "extension=mysqli.so". And block [MySQLi] with some uncommented settings also present.
Since this is my first attempt to build php from source I reckon I did some silly mistake. Any help is greatly appreciated.
UPD: PROBLEM SOLVED 1. To enable mcrypt extension (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcrypt/files/) 1.1 download, unpack, config, compile and install Libmcrypt library
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz tar xf libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz cd libmcrypt-2.5.8 ./configure make && make install
1.2 download, unpack, config (I added desirable path: ----prefix=/usr/local/mcrypt), compile and install mcrypt
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/MCrypt/2.6.8/mcrypt-2.6.8.tar.gz tar xf lmcrypt-2.6.8.tar.gz cd lmcrypt-2.6.8 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mcrypt make && make install
2.to install mysqli I followed proposed options of configuring php taken from http://php.net/manual/en/mysqli.installation.php
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/bin/mysql_config \ --with-mysqli=mysqlnd \ --with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd [other options]
So after installing Libmcrypt, mcrypt in /usr/local/mcrypt and adding changes to configuration of php I had finally succeeded. The final config looks this way:
./configure --prefix=/etc/php --with-apxs2=/etc/apache2/bin/apxs --with-config-file-path=/etc/php --with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php/conf.d --with-libxml-dir=/usr/local/libxml2 --with-xsl=/usr/local/libxslt --with-mysql --with-mysqli=mysqlnd --with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd --with-mcrypt=/usr/local/mcrypt --with-zlib --enable-calendar --with-gd --with-iconv-dir --enable-mbstring --enable-soap --enable-sockets --enable-zip --with-curl --with-openssl --with-kerberos --with-tidy --with-pcre-regex
P.S: Note that to run this you would need download, config, compile and install libxml, libxslt, prce, mcrypt, Libmcrypt