I eventually got this to work. It turns out that I had bigger problems than just the tomcat connector.
First, there are several things I needed to do to compile apache with 64 bit Linux. I was getting build errors such as:
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
To fix that, OpenSSL had to have a special configure option:
So I recompiled OpenSSL, which allowed Apache to compile the ssl module correctly. Then I got another error during the apache
libtool: install: error: relink `libaprutil-1.la' with the above command before installing it
To fix this, the APR classes needed a special configuration option during their compilation:
CC="gcc -m64" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apr
CC="gcc -m64" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apr-util --with-apr=/usr/local/apr
Compiling these separately meant that I needed to use the --with-apr option instead of --with-included-apr in the Apache build:
./configure ... --with-apr=/usr/local/apr --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apr-util
I also had been using a strange config option during the Apache configuration:
which should have been:
After getting all of those things straightened out and recompiling apache, I tried again with the tomcat connector build. The mod_jk.so file then generated correctly.