I have recently joined a company as the sole IT guy and I'm struggling to get a handle on what software and hardware we own and how it is deployed. Keeping in mind my limited time and budget, what tools or processes are going to be effective for discovering and managing this information? Things I am looking after include:
- Approximately 35 desktops including PC and Mac.
- Microsoft servers including AD, Exchange, SQL and IIS servers.
- Wired, wireless and VPN networks.
My goals are:
- Identify and improve any issues.
- Make sure we are licensed correctly.
- Document enough to make the next guys job easier.