My management asks for a monitoring screen to be displayed inside a hallway. They think about those fancy screenshots salesmen show when they try to sell this wonderfull appliance which never breaks down (never, promise). Or the kind of thing we see when visiting Nagio or Cacti website (I shown some, they said yes).
My management knows nearly nothing about what computing people are doing. They want this to have some professional feelings about network, servers, etc. And probably to be seen as professionnal themselves.
We have :
- 3 servers (1 fileserver, 2 applications servers)
- 1 backup server
- 1 LAN with 3 managed switches
- 2 ADSL lines
- 1 VPN connecting 7 small remote sites
- 1 Oracle database
- 2 applications running on the servers
- and lots of small things
We already use Nagios. They are not interested with the simple view we have, saying everything is ok. I'd like to have some better ideas to present to them, so they can tell me they want this or that.
I think about :
- a pie chart displaying disk usage (with department names)
- a graph à la Cacti to show disk I/O on the file server
- one graph showing network throughput on the switches
- one graph showing Oracle throughput, or something related
- a weathermap for the VPN
Any better ideas ?