We've attempted to build an SSD RAID 1 using Intel server motherboards and SSDs a few times, using current and previous gen Intel boards.
We can normally get through installing Server 2008 R2 x64, but after a few reboots, Windows goes into recovery mode with no warning, and cannot recover.
We have run the exact same configuration using spinning rust disks, and it works fine. The SSDs also work fine afterwards as standalones, as we end up installing the OS on a single one of the disks.
I can't think of any reason why this config shouldn't work, but it Just Doesn't (tm).
Right now we're using an Intel S2600CP4 with the ESRT2 (LSI) RAID controller, and two Intel 520 240GB SSDs.
BIOS as follows:
- ACHI Capable SATA Controller: [RAID Mode]
- AHCI HDD Staggered Spin-Up: [Disabled]
- AHCI Capable RAID Options: [INTEL (R) ESRT2 (LSI*)]
- SAS/SATA Capable Controller [INTEL (R) ESRT2 (LSI*)]
- BOOT Option #1: [(AHCI) Embedded RAID Controller]
The RAID is configured on the AHCI Capable Controller.