I want to configure a 24-port Cisco Catalyist 2960 to perform as follows:
- Four ports going to a SAN
- Four ports going to four ESX servers for iSCSI storage traffic
- Four ports going to the four ESX servers for management traffic (the vmware stuff)
- Four ports for linking two of these switches together.
- The switch's management address is 10.10.0.1 (255.0.0.0)
- The ESX service-console has been setup as 10.20.30.1 and hooked into Gi0/11
Requirement 1 and 2 seem okay - we've put that on a separate VLAN (10):
interface range Gi0/1 - 10 description Storage switchport access vlan 10
Requirement 4 seems okay - we've set those up as a trunk:
interface range Gi0/21 - 24 description Uplink channel-group 1 mode active
The switch-ports for #3 have been setup as their own VLAN to isolate the VM traffic.
interface range Gi0/11 - 20 description ESX switchport access vlan 20
My problem is that the switch can't ping 10.20.30.1 at all. Do I need to setup routing? My ESX console is on the default VLAN (i.e. I've not specified it in the setup), and the laptop I'm using to terminal in to the switch is also on VLAN 1.