I'm just getting into VPC, trying to understand how everything works. So far the biggest hurdle I've run into is that any time I add a second Elastic NIC to a machine, that second IP is not accessible by any others in the VPC. Here's what I did
- Launched Canonical provided AMI for Ubuntu 12.10 x64 EBS.
- During launch I configured it for two network interfaces (same subnet)
- Once the machine was up, I added the following to /etc/network/interfaces :
iface eth1 inet dhcp
- ifup eth1
- Run ifconfig, verify the second address is up.
On my primary (internet accessible) instance:
- ping (IP for new instance eth0) - Works
- ping (IP for new instance eth1) - FAILS
There are no ACL's that prevent ping, as it works with eth0. There is no firewall setup on the machine. I've tried 4 different instances across several SGs and AZs with multiple interfaces, all with the same result.
I've been bashing my head against the wall for longer than I care to admit on this. I cannot figure out where the error is on this.