Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

My house is wired with Cat 5e, which is currently exposed as RJ11, which I want to switch to RJ45. I found this little guy in my wiring closet:

enter image description here

There are 7 cables going into the bottom from throughout the house, and an 8th into the top. The 8th is labeled HR, which I assume stands for home run -- there is a similarly labeled coaxial cable that leads to the telephone pole. I'm not sure where it would go in this case.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by MDMarra, Michael Hampton, Sven, Ward, Stefan Lasiewski Feb 1 '13 at 0:23

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Welcome to Server Fault. As the FAQ states, "anything in a home setting" isn't on topic here. You may wish to visit our sister sites Home Improvement and Super User and check their respective FAQ's and search to see if your question would be a better fit there. – Michael Hampton Feb 1 '13 at 0:11
Its a punchdown block, which is where communication wires coming in from the outside get punched down to make connections to the communication wires feeding the various wall jacks in your house. It can also be used to "connect" the communication wires in one part of the house to the communication wires in a different part of the house. It is, for all intents and purposes, a distribution point for the communication lines throughout the house. What do you mean with your statement "My house is wired with Cat 5e, which is currently exposed as RJ11, which I want to switch to RJ45"? – joeqwerty Feb 1 '13 at 0:12
Sorry about that, Michael. Should have read the FAQ. – Max Meyers Feb 1 '13 at 0:13
@joeqwerty and OP: Just as a comment, it looks like the Cat 5e was run with RJ11 as phone lines, not data lines. You would need to cut the ends from the block and the other end, and reterminate the cables correctly for data runs. – TheCleaner Feb 1 '13 at 3:28
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It appears to be a punchdown block most likely used for analog telephone lines.

share|improve this answer
I've successfully ran 100Base-T through one of these in a pinch. Not recommended, but possible if the run isn't too long. – EEAA Feb 1 '13 at 1:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.