This is my first attempt at creating a Group Policy to install a software product for computers on our domain. When I attempt to add a package I receive the following error:
Add operation failed. Unable to extract deployment information from the package. Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct.
Here are the steps I have taken to get to this point:
- Within Active Directory, right-click on the Domain and choose Properties
- Click on the New button to create a New Group Policy Object
- Named the object
- Selected the new Group Policy Object and clicked on the Edit button
- On the Group Policy Editor dialog, under Computer | Software Settings | Software Installation node, right-click and choose the New Package command.
- The path to the MSI file is a valid UNC path (the share where the MSI file resides has been shared to users within our Domain - full control).
- Click "Open" to select the MSI file
- Under the Deploy Software dialog, select "Assigned" and click OK
- After a few moments (10 - 15 seconds) the error message described above is displayed
Troubleshooting Steps I've tried to Date:
- Made sure that the software is not installed on the server already
- Used the MSI file to install the software on another machine to make sure the MSI works.
- Verified that the Windows Volume on the server has adequate free disk space (100+GB).