For a dev who doubles up as a sysadmin in small web startup, what services/servers/devices do you recommend running?
I am also open to best-practices suggestions
To get the ball rolling- here are some of what I have.
- OSSIM suite
- Pingdom to verify stage and production status(I have custom scripts hooked to a paid SMS gateway)
- SVN server (Linux).
- Backup server (Linux).
- Mail’s on Google apps. (prioritizing LDAP integration)
- Linksys WRT54GL routers with Tomato for wireless
- Gateway with iptables (Arno’s script), DHCPd and LDAP on a Linux machine
- Ccnet servers for continuous integration.
- Source code review tool (Not yet up. Something likes rietveld)
- Reddit clone to work on ideas.
- Nmap and NDiff
- Dump server. Doubles up as a torrent client, gaming server and data crunching tasks.
- WorkRave for RSI (not as a service. But I push this around a lot)
- OpenVpn to connect from wireless to LAN
It’s been a while since I asked this question. Updating the list after 2 years :-):