I am trying to install the .NET framework 4.0 on my Windows Server 2008 R2. I had it installed before, but for some other reason I uninstalled and now wan't to reinstall it.
My problem is, there is a file C:\windows\system32\aspnet_counters.dll which cannot be written in the installation process and thus it fails.
Looking into windows explorer, I can see the file is already there.
- It has 0kb.
- Deleting it fails ("The system cannot find the file specified").
- Renaming fails too (same message).
- Cut & paste also (same message).
- properties -> security tab says "security info is not available or cannot be shown"
- I tried Unlocker1.9.1-x64 but it didn't seem to work at all
- I tried "del /f aspnet_counters.dll" (as administrator), but no success. It said "The system cannot find the file specified".
- I tried the .NET cleanup tool (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx), but no success. I guess it cannot access the files either.
- I tried "chkdsk /r /f". No success.
Additional info: it is a virtual server XXL from hosteurope.de.
So, my question is: how do I remove this file? Is the file system broken here? Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks!