On BIND, I have an entry for a domain that is pointing to an old server and IP. This machine doesn't exist any more. When I make the change to point to the new server, the nslookup is still showing the old value for previous server. I changed the www entry last thursday (it's tuesday the next week), and the entry still hasn't cached/propagated through and is still showing the old entry. I have rebuilt the domain, deleting the previous, but I am still seeing the old entry showing up on NSLOOKUP. I am willing to wait awhile to let it cache through. Is there another way to get this to point to the appropriate working address, rather than it still pointing to the old?
Rather than waiting for DNS caches to flush, you should do your lookups directly from the authoritative server(s).
As for trying to solve your problem, we can only make wild guesses because all you gave us was "I changed it but it didn't change."
If you add your actual config to the question we might have a chance. If you can't do that, Bind likes to log errors and continue on and attempt to load the rest of the zone files or entries. For instance, removing the ns2 line from a zone file causes this to be logged:
But Bind will still start up and load all the other zone files. I'm not sure exactly how it behaves on bad syntax, whether it ignores that entry or the entire zone file. Look through your logs (that was in
Some other guesses:
The original submitter's problem seems to have gone away at this point, but for the benefit of other people in the same situation who may stumble across this question..
The general order of operations for making a change to your name service and verifying afterwards that everything went as planned looks something like this (note: the list below does not cover zones with dynamic updates enabled, which will additionally require freeze and thaw steps if you are manually editing the zone master file, rather than using nsupdate to make changes)