I have a super confusing situation going on with my home server.
What I have done:
- In Server.app, enabled File Sharing and FTP.
- Created some public share points.
- Enabled the public share points for AFP, SMB and FTP.
- The AFP shares work from anywhere, no problems at all.
- SMB works but only from smbclient and other Macs. Windows machines can't get in (the root of my problems and the reason why I'm trying to get FTP to work.)
- From the server,
ftp 192.168.1.10 21connects and I can login.
From the desktop,
ftp 192.168.1.10 21gives:
ftp: Can't connect to `192.168.1.10': Operation timed out
I have checked the firewall on both the server and the laptop and it is supposedly disabled on both. I have tried using telnet directly and get results consistent with the above - it connects from the server but times out from the desktop. What else on Mac OS X could be blocking the connection?