We have a Dell R210 with an external Sata connection.
When connecting the Sata drive through the eSata connection, the server does not recognize the additional drive.
What we have tried:
- Verified that the drive was turned on when booting the server
- Verified eSata was set to Automatic in BIOS (the other option of disabled)
- Verified that it is in AHCI mode and not RAID in the bios
- Verified that plugins were secure and that power was getting to the drive
- Verified that it does not appear in Disk Manager or Device Manager, Did a manual rescan with device manager after each of the aforementioned steps.
We do not have another cable to test with handy. I have been walking an end user through as the site is about a 1,000 miles away from the office.
Any input for why this drive is not connecting would be helpful.
EDIT: The drive is getting power from the casing that came with it. We have made sure that it is powered on. We also tried having it powered on before booting into windows.