I have several Supermicro servers, and I can't connect to any of their KVM's through IPMI anymore; I keep getting 'connection failed'. I first noticed it with one, but trying others resulted in the same error.
- Browser plugin (firefox+java7) on Windows server 2008.
- Browser plugin (firefox+java7) on Windows 7.
- Browser plugin Mac+safari+java7.
- Browswer plugin Linux+openjdk-1.7+icedtea plugin.
- stand-alone ipmi tool on Windows server 2008 (Supermicro's ipmiview).
- stand-alone IPMI tool on Linux openjdk 1.6 and 1.7 (Supermirco's ipmiview).
- resetting the IPMI controller (which is sometimes necessary because it crashes):
ipmitool mc reset warm.
I keep getting 'connection failed', no matter what I try.
I did a tcp dump and analyzed it with wireshark, and all I see is that a SYN is sent by the client, and a [RST, ACK] is received, which wireshark marks red.
I used the console a lot in the past, so I don't know what is the problem here. I read something about java 1.6 (java 6) working, but that did not seem to help me.
Edit: it's not a network issue, because I can connect to the webadmin and control everything but KVM. I can even see the screenshots of the booted OS.
And some info:
# ipmitool mc info Device ID : 32 Device Revision : 1 Firmware Revision : 2.0 IPMI Version : 2.0 Manufacturer ID : 47488 Manufacturer Name : Unknown (0xB980) Product ID : 1541 (0x0605) Product Name : Unknown (0x605) Device Available : yes Provides Device SDRs : no Additional Device Support : Sensor Device SDR Repository Device SEL Device FRU Inventory Device IPMB Event Receiver IPMB Event Generator Chassis Device Aux Firmware Rev Info : 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x00
On my Linux machine, I use IPMIView-2.9.15-build121211-bundleJRE-linux, and even when using the included JRE (
./jre/bin/java -jar JViewerX9.jar host ADMIN password), it doesn't work. Maybe it is a network issue, but I didn't change anything on our router/firewall (Debian Linux machine).