We are in the process of setting up our existing OpenLDAP (on Ubuntu) to provide authentication and MCX etc for our Macs.
We are hitting a problem with our home directories - they work fine using AFP (and presumably NFS), but we want to use Samba for obvious reasons and we don't want to use Kerberos. I have searched high and low for info on using Samba in this way, but have had no luck
My simplistic approach so far was to change the following schema value from AFP to SMB, but with no success - the login fails with a generic error.
Does anybody have any experience using Samba in this way?
To answer your good questions:
- We use OpenLDAP & Samba exclusively - no AD at all.
- Windows XP & Macs (mix of 10.4 & 10.5) are the only clients.
- We were hoping to avoiding the hassle of setting up Kerberos - if it is between Kerberized NFS and AFP, probably AFP will win.
- We already have Samba running of the file server in front of our SAN.
- I'm told NFS without Kerberos is just not secure enough (we have multiple independent groups using our file sever with serious IP implications/regulations)