i used salt-stack for over 6 Month now to manage 40+ nodes.
in My current setup i use:
- Icinga as Monitoring Server
- NRPE for executing the checks on the Nodes
- graphite collects the data from the collectd nodes
- collectd for collecting and pushing metrics to graphite
- gdash for a nice Dashboard to visualize the grahite metrics
- salt-stack and finally salt-stack to roll out the configs for NRPE / Collectd on each node
als this runs under CentOS 6.x
my expierience so far is that salt-stack is good to enroll everything. But as long term runing Daemon on the nodes, its not stable.
i have often problems with not reaching the master or memory bloating of on the salt-minions.
This can be fixed with and easy workaround that you restart every 24hours/onceaweek the salt-minions.
but this problem in salt-minion makes it not usable to collect data over the 0mq Framework.
my current setup runs safe.
I can enroll changes pretty quick with salt-stack and collectd on the nodes does the trick.