Our companys NAS recently died and has now been replaced by a rackserver running Ubuntu. I installed samba3 which authenticates against our active directory. I defined a share for our graphics department which is working with large files (>100MB). We also have several Windows and Linux users that must have access to these files. Windows and Linux users don't experience any problems.
Now here comes the problem: We have several OSX versions (10.6; 10.7; 10.8) which all have problems working with this directory. These problems include:
- Files vanish. Only in finder, files are visible with other clients and on server. This problem seems random.
- User does not have permission to read/write random directories.
- Folders are slow. It takes up to 60 seconds to view the contents of a folder.
Now I have 2 possible solutions, but none of them are satisfying...
- Update all OSX clients to 10.8 and solve the problems with 10.8 (I've been trying, but to no avail...)
- Use samba3 and netatalk (afp). There are reported problems with file locks and simultaneous use is discouraged.
Any help is appreciated.