I have a very simple MVC 4 application I'm trying to deploy to a Windows 2012 server.
Inconsistently, when navigating to the root of the web application (
http://localhost/app), it returns a
Detailed Error Information:
Module: DirectoryListingModule Notification: ExecuteRequestHandler Handler: StaticFile Error Code: 0x00000000 Requested URL: http://localhost:80/test1/ Physical Path: c:\apps\test1\ Logon Method: Negotiate
The web application is:
- Is a very vanilla VS2012 MVC4 Intranet template -- with only a tweak to a label to prove things were working.
- runs in an Integrated v4.0 application pool
- setup to use Windows authentication
- application pool has a custom AD Identity assigned (so it can gain access to a SQL server)
- application pool identity has read permissions in the c:\apps\test1 folder in which it is running
- It's an MVC4 application, targeting .NET 4.0 currently -There's no default document in an MVC4 application (like a default.aspx), as there shouldn't need to be one.
- I don't want to enable directory listings (as that's not the real error).
- Installed: Roles / Web Server (IIS) / Appliation Development / (.NET 4.5 Extensibility, Application Initialization, ASP.NET 4.5, ISAP Extensions, ISAPI Filters, WebSocket Protocol)
- Works locally on my machine in IISExpress on Windows 8
- Has configured in web.config:
<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true" />
- is set to precompiled during publish
When I change the precompiled option to
false, the web application does not fail (in my testing at least, it seems to work consistently).
The reason I say it's inconsistent is that I've seen it work, then I've published, and the error returns. I can't find a pattern to the issue (and right now, I haven't been able to get it work again, at all).
The 403 is returned from a local or remote web browser.
I've had trouble finding a solution that isn't intended for older versions of Windows (like suggestions to reinstall ASP.NET which won't work on Windows 2012).
I really don't know what else to try.