Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a website hosted in the UK and I also have an organisation in South Africa hosting my company application online for web access.

I want to implement SSL for both servers, as it requires login from different places and different people.

Is it possible to purchase just one SSL certificate for the company in the company name for one domain name and use it for both purposes? Will there be any conflict issuing the CSR?

share|improve this question
Cross posted at… – Ladadadada Apr 3 '13 at 15:10
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, this is possible. You just need the private key from the server that the CSR was generated from. Transfer that private key to both servers, along with the SSL cert and CA Bundle.

However, if you're using a sub-domain on the second server, then you'll either need a wildcard SSL or multiple SSL certificates.

share|improve this answer
Just to add to this - some CA's (eg Symantec) license their certificates per server and some have no limits on the number of servers a cert is installed on. Check the terms and conditions of your potential vendor prior to purchase to make sure it matches your intended usage. – bkr Mar 23 at 18:37

If both locations use the same URL there won't be any issue. You could purchase a multi-SAN cert to use in both locations if you want to only use one certificate also.

SSL works by matching the URL you're visiting to the CN (or SANs) on the server, if they match (and the certificate is valid and not listed on the CA's CRL) then the client will be happy...otherwise you'll get a certificate error on the client's side.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.