I develop in both windows and linux environments so I have one physical server with Hyper-V Server 2012 running 2 VM's for testing:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS, smtp, Sql, etc.
- Ubuntu 12.05 LAMP, samba shares, etc.
I have very basic sys-admin knowledge, i can setup a server but struggle with the bigger picture :)
I'd like to open up to the outside world for remote work, am looking for advice on what OS to pick as I have a few requirements:
- VPN in only.
- Internal DNS and via the VPN. (be able to resolve http://www.test.site1, etc.)
- Low footprint server (ubuntu)
- Varied OS clients with access to server via RDP or SSH
I currently have a broadband router connected to a switch and the physical server with 3 NIC's in place.
Ideally i'd like to use only one VM with limited resources for this, Ubuntu is my prefered distro, will I be able to meet all these requirements?
And the hyper-v networking config, can you advice on the best setup? The router is currently DHCP but i could make the new server also distribute the ips.
Many thanks in advance,