I've done a bunch of googling, but I can't seem to find a hosted exchange service that I'm certain will do what I need it to.
Location 1 has it's own Server 2012 forest and Domain. A handful of in-office users that access email via Windows Machines running Outlook and Mac's running Outlook 2011. A few in-office users who need mail and calendar access via android and ios devices. A handful of mobile users who will access mail and calendar exclusively through iOS tablets.
Location 2 has it's own Server 2008 R2 forest and domain. Around 20 users who use email regularly. Most use Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. A few also access their mail through iOS devices.
Location 1 uses rackspace hosted email. (Mixture of their imap offering and hosted exchange, without AD integration.) Location 2 uses google apps for business.
Google apps users complain service is slow when accessed via Outlook. No shared calendars for rackspace email users. Administrative annoyance maintaining seperate email and AD accounts.
Hosted Exchange server hosting email for both domains. Users authenticate to their email account using AD credentials. Public folders calendars. Ability to grant access to folders,mailboxes and calendars across domains after external trust is setup.
Relatively fast, seamless access to mail and calendering via Outlook for Windows, Outlook for mac, Android, iOS and some kind of web interface. A fair amount of control over the cnfiguration of our exchange server. Some kind of exchange backup solution, and possible email archival for up to 5 years. Quality support. Little downtime.
I've waded through a ton of hosted exchange pitches.. it's not clear to me which even claim to support the services we need, let alone which do a good job.
Ideally, I'd like a service with (possibly paid) migration support that will setup active directory sync with the two domains, import all mailboxes from rackspace email, rackspace exchange and google apps for business.
From there I'd like a a setup that just works. Users can access their email with domain credentials. Configuing shared calendars, allowing send-from-another-user, distribution groups, etc, etc.
Why I think this is a legitimate ServerFault question:
- There are many hosted exchange providers, but quality often seems to diverge from stated claims.
- Integration with two independent forests seems like a unique use case
- ServerFault expertise best suited to evaluate whether service really gives a lot of direct access to exchange server
- ServerFault users should be able to to give accurate information about quality of support, and uptime
- Existing question do not really address all the issues I'm concerned about (AD integration with two seperate forests, lots of config access to our server, good techie support, backup, migration services)