Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to access my guest OS by ssh and not by ugly GUI that's provided by virt-manager. How do I enable guest OS to be accessible externally ? All I found was to configure bridge interface and did some tweaks in config files. There are two probles:

  • It seems that I already have bridge interface:

    virbr0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 3e:1a:ac:69:b3:36
    inet addr: Bcast: Mask: inet6 addr: fe80::3c1a:acff:fe69:b336/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:8027 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:1592237 (1.5 MB)

    Do I need to configure another one ?

  • All information I found about tweaking config files was relevant to ubuntu 8.10 but I have ubuntu 9.04 and config files layout is a bit different.

Is there any step-by-step guide for configuring external access to KVM guests in ubuntu 9.04 ?

share|improve this question

there is no need for anything specific. if you have a bridge device, which is supposed to replace the eth config, then the virtual NICs of the VMs are attached to that bridge, much like you would attach VMs to a v-switch on VMWare ESX.

after that it's just simple networking to ssh into the VM - sshd must be running and port 22 must be accessible.

I'm njo expert on Ubuntu, but it does work on my Fedora box and on my RHEL systems.

share|improve this answer
yep, works for me too with KVM on debian. – cas Aug 5 '09 at 21:47

Ubuntu has a good guide on KVM networking and setting up a bridged interface at

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.