Problem: DNS Cache doesn't work:
"Could not display DNS Resolver Cache."
Additionally (as a result?) I cannot ping directly to target server name, although the resolve step to the actual IP works fine.
- VM host: Win Server 2008 R2
- VM client: also Win Server 2008 R2
- can ping target (= VM host also serving as AD and DNS server) and target can ping VM client when using direct IP
nslookupis working to resolve the name of the VM host to the respective IP
- directly pinging the host name is NOT working
- VM client has listed the VM host (= DNS server) as preferred DNS server (verified by
ipconfig /all) as well as as Default Gateway
What I tried so far:
sc query dnscacheshows RUNNING (also started and stopped several times)
- checked the traffic with Wireshark to verify that the DNS lookup actually goes via the VM host and it does along with the proper response
Note: I have another VM client setup with WinXP x64 with basically the same networking/DNS settings and all works fine there.
PS: I saw these threads, but wasn't getting me any closer to the solution: