In an attempt to minimize the disk space used by a bunch of Windows VMs I'm about to work with, I've tried to create a base image in the hope of using differencing disks. I'm nearly there but OOBE keeps running every time I boot a VM and I have to configure the language and admin password. How can I stop OOBE running on boot?
Here's what I've done so far:
- Create a VirtualBox VM with a 60GB expanding disk. 2GB RAM, 1CPU.
- Install Windows Server 2008 R2 and patch the OS using Windows Update.
sysprepticking the generalize option and shutting down the OS.
- Remove the VM from VirtualBox Manager but keep the files.
- Attach the virtual disk (a .vdi file) from the VM created in #1.
- Modify the disk in Virtual Media Manager setting it as Immutable.
- Create a new VM selecting the disk from #6 as the main hard disk.
- Boot the new VM from #7.
- OOBE runs. Set the language, password and other prefs.
- Shutdown the VM.
- Start the VM from VirtualBox Manager.
- OOBE runs again.
Each VM that uses the Immutable disk get's a .vid file in it's snapshots directory, and changes made to the VM are persisted between sessions, that is, programs I install are still installed after a reboot, but OOBE runs every time. How can I stop it?