Requests to several websites on Media Temple's Grid Server (shared hosting; more than one account) are timing out for me today. Everything was fine earlier this morning, and for no apparent reason these URLs are timing out in the browser, via FTP client, and SSH.
- the websites are up, and I can access them from other networks (verified with support and on 4G cell)
- it's not etc/hosts or machine-specific issues; reproduced the timeouts on three different devices on my local network
- all tested ports time out: 80, 22, 443
- applications tested: Chrome+Safari+Terminal Mac (two different machines), Chrome+Safari iOS7
- I changed our router from its default DNS to Google Public DNS, with no change in behavior
- a local traceroute to any given site will work just fine, showing a full/quick/healthy path to the server
- there is no VPN, proxy, firewall, sophisticated routing, or tomfoolery in place; router+ethernet to building rack to microwave equipment on roof
- following tony roth's suggestion,
nslookup foo.comprints the exact same result from within and without my local network
- I've flushed my DNS and restarted my primary machine several times with my fingers crossed
Have I missed something obvious? I'm not sure what to do when the traceroute looks normal but I'm hopelessly unable to access these servers that are clearly up and running.