We have two new servers running Server 2008 Standard:
- Dual Xeon E5430 @ 2.66
- 16 GB RAM
- 6 Seagate 146GB 15,000 RPM 16MB Cache SAS on RAID 5 (4+1) with hot spare for total of 544 GB hard disk
We have this setup on our current Windows Server 2003 running SQL Server. We have one RAID 5 array with a 135 GB disk that is partitioned this way:
- C: OS
- D: SQL backups & other files. We do full DB backups twice a day. Drop off backups after 6 weeks.
- F: Primary Database data & log files
- T: For temp folders, pagefile, temp ie files location, whatever dirties up a partition
So with our new servers we will be running server 2008 standard with Hyper-v full details are HERE.
Do I resize my current partition which is a 544 GB into 3 partitions like this:
- C: Core or Full Install of Host machine - Already there
- D: Partition for all the 3 VHD images that we will be running: Webserver / Sql Server / DC & File Server
- F: Leftover for whatever
What considerations should I take if any specifically with the disk system?