Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Essentially I have a Credit Card machine which is connected to a phone line via standard BT Socket.

So basically, the port of the wall has a balun plugged in which takes the RJ45 outlet on the wall to BT, so I can plug the device in. This works fine, however I need the machine to be on the other side of the room so want to route it through my patch panel (strucutered cabling).

How can this be done?

So Device --> ? --> RJ45 port --> Patch Panel --> ? --> Balun out wall outlet

Where ? is to be filled in!

share|improve this question
Is your PSTN line currently connected into your structured wiring, eg, do you need to connect the BT socket on the wall into your infrastructure or is that already in place? – James Yale Jun 28 '13 at 21:57
It's an independent PSTN line for a credit card machine, it won't be in use for anything else. – PnP Jun 28 '13 at 22:11
The important part of this isn't the credit card machine, it's the PSTN - once you get that onto your structured wiring it should be plain sailing. Is the PSTN currently connected to your structured wiring? – James Yale Jun 28 '13 at 22:16
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes you can do this. What you need is one of these:

Thw differance between MASTER and Slave is that master shoukd be used on devices that ring using the pstn (example a very old phone that draws power from pstn)

A slave should be used for digial devices. The only differance is there is a capicter in the master to enable no influx in voltage.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.