Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a VMDK (with several partitions) file which I need to modify. It is not attached to any particular virtual machine.

I've tried using vmware-mount (from the VDDK toolset) in on Ubuntu server 12.04 which allows me to mount a particular partition from the VMDK to my local machine. I can successfully view the files and, after changing some permissions, I can write changes to the files.

The problem is that they don't persist after I unmount the vmdk (then remount it to check for the changes). Do I need to do anything before unmounting? I'm currently using vmware-mount -d to unmount after making my changes.

I haven't tried to convert the VMDK to a different format, make changes, then convert back. I'm skeptical about going that route.

share|improve this question
What changes do you need to make to it? – ewwhite Jul 8 '13 at 19:29
I just need to modify the contents of a text file – s g Jul 11 '13 at 20:47

You should try guestfs. It supports VMDK format and allows you to change/download/upload content from/to your VMDK file. You can use subcommand virt-copy-in to upload content into a disk file, use virt-edit to edit file in an offline disk image.

share|improve this answer

What filesystem is on the vmdk if it's ext2/ext3 then add it to a vm (in persistent mode) find the /dev device for it and mount in linux in the normal way (using mount /mountpoint /dev/[device]) make your changes and then mount /mountpoint

share|improve this answer
I would like to do this without any VM's involved. Ideally, I could have a script that makes a simple modification to a bunch of VMDK files. – s g Jul 11 '13 at 20:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.