I just recently installed RHEL 5 on a virtual machine. The server is set up to use a static IP, which I've configured in the Network Configuration GUI. There is only ethernet interface set up called eth0 which is set to activate on boot. After restarting Linux, I went to check to make sure that it was indeed activated, but it wasn't so I manually activated the device.
Going into the command line, I tried:
- Iinging google.com but got 100% packet loss.
- Pinged the IP address of the router the server is using for the gateway (set in Network Configuration Manager), which came back with 0% packet loss.
- I tried pinging the IP address of the server itself, which again came back with 0% packet loss.
However, if I try opening up Firefox and navigating to a site, nothing will come up. Any suggestions?
UPDATE 1: When I ping www.google.com, I don't get "Unknown host", so the DNS should be fine.
Following Matt's advice, I issued the command route -n and got the following output:
> Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.X.X.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 0.0.0.0 10.X.X.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
UPDATE 2: After issuing the command:
traceroute -n www.google.com
I am seeing IP addresses for #1 and #2, but the rest of them have three asterisks where the IP addresses should be. Plus, I couldn't even connect to www.google.com using the telnet command. So it does look like a network firewall is most likely causing the problem. I think that's about all the information I can provide until I can confirm whether or not the cause is indeed a firewall.